This school was at the heart of the Oak Park community developed in the 1950s in far northwest Bartlesville. It was built in 1956 for $121,272 on Forrest Park road on seven acres laid aside by the developer. A 1960 addition cost $112,932 and the next year a $62,000 second addition was made. Two years later a third addition was made for $68,318. In 1984 the school received a $1,300,000 renovation. A 1998 bond issue provided for air conditioning in the gymnasium, and a 2000 bond allowed a damaged sanitary sewer to be repaired.
After the consolidations of the 1970s and 1980s, when most of the older neighborhood elementary schools were closed and the district consolidated into six larger elementary schools, Oak Park remained as a small neighborhood school because of the development's isolated location. The school was closed at the end of May 2011 due to budget cuts, and students in the Oak Park neighborhood were bussed to Wilson.
On September 15, 2014 the board of education sold the school to a local Hispanic church, Comunidad Hispana de Esperanza y Amor, for $150,000 cash.
Click images to enlarge them.
Oak Park in 1997
Oak Park Entrance in 2010